Darren and Gwen Allen
Serving in Guatemala
Our call to join God’s work in Guatemala started when we took an extended honeymoon to visit some friends serving as missionaries in and around Guatemala City.
It was while we were working alongside them that God touched our hearts and we felt the pieces of our life puzzle fall into place.
Whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through Him to God the Father. Colossians 3:17
Gwen is busy every afternoon teaching and tutoring English at Prince of Peace, a home for 45-60 girls, who have been rescued from desperate situations. Here they have a chance to live in a safe, nurturing environment and experience God’s love. The ability to speak English is a tremendous advantage for entering into work life. It provides opportunities that allow Guatemalans to earn an income that takes them above poverty level and allows them to pay for extra things like education and home ownership.
Two mornings a week we will be teaching an English class to about 20 young people in the community of Peronia. We have partnered with a local pastor who is worried about the gang influences in the community and knows that learning English will give them a hope for a future outside of criminal activity. Darren is also working with the youth Group of Habitat church in Peronia to teach and build Aquaponics Systems that can provide Talapia and fresh vegetables for the impoverished families that live there. (See the short video below to learn more about the ministry)
Once a week we travel into Zone 3 to the community that lives and works around the Guatemala City Dump (Basurero). There we help with a Bible class, teach English and go on Prayer visits with the families that participate in the Light for the Future Ministry Program. There are 30 children in the program and that translates to just over 20 families.
We feel excited and privileged that God has called us to join Him in His work here in Guatemala and we can’t wait to see Him unfold the rest of our story.
We have seen God’s blessing poured out on us by His provision throughout our lives. He has always taken care of us and we know He always will.
Like most missionaries, we are faith based missionaries. We depend on God and His people for our support. We could not serve in this capacity without a team of prayer warriors and financial donors.
Would you prayerfully consider joining our team?
By joining us in our work here in Guatemala, you will have a share in His blessing too.
- Pray for us. Pray that we will discern His voice.
- The world is loud, His voice is soft.
- We only want to be inside of His will.
- Donate to us in a one/time gift that will allow us to pay for things like:
- Transportation home once a year,
- Passport expenses or medical Bills.
- Sponsor us on a monthly basis so that we can meet budgeted needs like yours;
- Rent, utilities, gas and groceries.
With thanks, Darren and Gwen
Watch a short video here to show some of what they have been called to do:
- FaceBook Page: Darren & Gwen Working in Guatemala for God’s Glory
- New Formal Ministry Partnership (as Foundation for Missions retires by April 30th, 2020): Light for the Future Ministries
- Address: Light for the Future Ministries (Luz para el Futuro), 206 Quaterman Drive, Savannah, GA, 31410
- Read/sign up for newsletters: mailchimp
Donate through their new partnership at: